Sarah Barth December 10 2016
A council in London has made over half a million pounds in a week from drivers falling foul of new traffic restrictions as a cycling ‘Mini Holland’ was launched.
Despite temporary bollards and notices of traffic restrictions being placed around the area of Kingston, south west London, thousands of drivers ignored them and were hit by penalty charge notices.
According to the Evening Standard, 8,055 penalty charge notices were issued between November 14 and November 20 – totalling at least £525,000.
Each fine is £65, rising to £195 if not paid within 28 days.
Only buses, taxis and residents are allowed to breach the cycle-friendly zones.
Roger Marlow, 74, from East Molesey, was fined after driving through the bollards to reach his bridge club last month.
He said: “I went through there and got a £65 ticket.
“When I went this week I flagged down a number of cars who didn’t know not to go through there.
“They must be making an absolute fortune, it must be a money making machine.
“At least eight or nine cars went through – there are some notices but there hasn’t been a consultation.”
Tony Edmonds, 57, who lives nearby, said: “I spoke to the council and they said they’re getting a lot of complaints about it.
“They said around 5,500 warning notices had been given out.
“That means people don’t understand the signage.”
Kingston Council issued 5,482 warning notices to drivers passing through the bollards before “live enforcement” of the restrictions began on November 14.
Liberal Democrat leader Liz Green said: “It’s a scary amount of money.
“The whole thing from start to finish has been badly implemented – it’s just a disaster.
“There is just a plethora of signs. There was no consultation, there was no chance to object.”
A Kingston Council spokeswoman said: “In order to improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians, we are conducting a trial road closure which is aimed at reducing traffic.