Simon MacMichael August 30 2017
A London cyclist says he won’t “let the bastards beat me” despite having noticed more aggression towards bike riders following last week’s conviction by an Old Bailey jury of fixed wheel rider Charlie Alliston for causing the death of pedestrian Kim Briggs in February last year.
The case received widespread coverage in the mainstream media and has resulted in a slew of anti-cyclist articles in the press, including one in The Sunday Times written by Sky broadcaster Adam Boulton that we reported on yesterday.
Evo Lucas, who regularly posts on social media footage of poor driving that he encounters when riding around London, alerted us to this particularly scary close pass by a lorry driver, who also sounded his horn, that happened on the South Circular Road this morning.
This just happened…
— Evo Lucas (@veloevol)
He told us: “I haven’t been using this main arterial TFL route through Forest Hill for some time but I have used it for a number of years and this is one of the scariest experiences I’ve had while trying to get to work.
“Travelling towards the Horniman Museum this morning I was expecting some patience from drivers at this narrow part of the road but this supposed ‘professional driver’ was not interested in waiting for a few seconds to where the road widens for a safer overtake.
“What I find puzzling is that the driver knew I was in front of him, he even sounded his horn presumably to tell me to get out of his way.
“I just don’t understand the impatience considering I caught up with a half mile down the South Circular.
“Sadly he seemed a bit shy when I asked him for his name and address, as advised by Martin Porter QC,” he continued.
“Since recent events with the prosecution and media coverage of a certain cyclist I have noticed more aggression on our roads towards users of bicycles but I’m not sure how to combat that.
“Just this week a rider was killed in London making six in total this year. I’ll definitely be attending London’s Stop Killing Cyclists event this coming Monday. It seems it’s all I can do in the face of all this aggression.”
He asked the Metropolitan Police on Twitter how he should go about reporting the incident, and received a prompt reply.
Hi, Pls complete the form here http://bit.ly/2eRjeoA to report dangerous driving. Thanks
— Met Contact Centre (@MetCC)
“I do have some faith that the Met will look into this incident,” he said. “The @metcc Twitter feed seemed to suggest it was ‘dangerous driving’. But we will see what happens.”
He added; “One thing’s for sure; I’m not letting the bastards beat me. I’ll not be considering giving up my commute anytime soon. You’ll have to rip the handlebars from my cold dead hands.”