Minutes of Camden Cycling Campaign Business Meeting on 12th November 2007
Present: Anne Boston, Jane Boardman (chair), James Brander, Stefano Casalotti, John Chamberlain, Jean Dollimore, Meade McCloughan (minutes), Dominic Tinley and Helen Vecht.
Also present, for the latter part of the meeting: Judy Cumberbatch, George Coulouris and Lionel Shapiro.
Apologies: Richard Fletcher
Chairs for the next six months
• Agreed as follows: December – Anne; January – John; February – Stefano; March – Jean; April – Helen; May – Dominic.
10th December meeting
• Alan Bennett has said that he may be able to come; Anne to confirm this with him.
• Stefano to try Adam Thorpe again and see if he could come too, maybe with a film/films?
• If Adam unavailable, Anne to ask Sean French & Nikki Gerard.
• Jane to arrange Indian snacks.
• Jane, Stefano and Meade to arrange provision of drinks.
Canfield Gardens – review of street improvements
• Jane brought this consultation to the meeting’s attention and encouraged people to respond.
• In general, we are happy with the improvements, but would like more bike stands and for them to be closer to the shops.
• Meade took the consultation document away to complete.
Bike Week 2008
• Stefano has contacted Cllr Paul Braithwaite about our idea for a Camden Freewheel event, incorporating Cllr Braithwaite’s peripherique ride, but has not yet discussed it with him.
• Once Camley Street is out of the way, Stefano to approach Cllr Braithwaite again – say within a month.
• It was agreed that it would be best to continue with the peripherique ride, but incorporate a smaller loop for families, perhaps using the parks.
• It was pointed out that there will be a lot on at that time, and many calls on members’ time and resources.
• Much discussion ensued about the best line to take in our deputation to the Council’s Executive meeting on Thursday 15th November. James wanted to concentrate on the benefits for people living in the area, and it was agreed that this was a sensible approach. It was pointed out that it would be possible to make simple modifications to the plans which would deal with the local concerns. There will be other deputations and presentations in favour of the scheme.
• James, Dominic and possibly Anne will make up the deputation; James to lead.
*King’s Cross Development Forum*
• James reported that two big planning applications had now gone in and should now be available on the Council website (via Somerstown/St Pancras) – John to investigate.
• John to attend the Forum Meeting this coming Thursday, 15th November.
• John and James to participate in the new accessability working group.
• Jo Shaw, forthcoming Lib-Dem candidate for Holborn/St Pancras, is putting pressure on Argent St George to aim for a higher sustainability rating for the development (using the BREEAM standards).
• John to investigate these BREEAM standards involve.
Cycletastic project, Kilburn
• It was agreed that we should get more involved in this if it runs again.
• Meade to liaise with Michael Stuart and Josie Warshaw and find out more.
• On a related note, it was reported that the Dr Bike events organized by the council in the north of the borough had been successful; we should make sure that we at least produce leaflets for these in future. John to find out who the Camden contact was.
London Borough of Camden Area Forums
• These continue to roll on, but reports suggest that they have been very poorly attended and dominated by nutters.
• However, if anyone were to attend one in their area, it would of course be good to emphasize cycling.
St Pancras International
• Final arrangements for Wednesday’s St Pancras demonstration were discussed.
• We then were set to making banners for the demo.
Any other business
• Stefano reported that discussions are underway regarding the Fitzjohn’s Avenue cycle route.
• James produced the new orange tabards.