Like our parent organisation, LCC, our main aim is to increase the number of people who cycle and to provide a better cycling experience for those that already do. There are many benefits to cycling including better health, reduced travelling time and greater enjoyment. More cycling means less pollution and less congestion.
Camden Cyclists work towards these aims in a variety of ways:
- working for a better cycling environment. Our goal is for the provision of a network of cycle routes enabling safe and convenient cycling for everyone aged 8-80 in Camden and linking to neighbouring boroughs. We pursue that by:
- liaison with Camden Council to plan better cycling facilities in the borough – suggesting new schemes, negotiating improved designs, auditing built schemes and resolving safety issues
- public campaigns to get public support for major schemes by Camden and TfL
- scrutinising and responding to numerous traffic management proposals
- pushing for cycle facilities in new developments
- proposing additonal cycle parking – on street and bikehangars
- providing a service to its existing 500+ members and all cyclists in Camden
- monthly meetings, quarterly newsletters and monthly e-bulletins to about 1000 members and supporters
- a website with a range of useful information for cyclists including details of upcoming events and reports on our activities
- discussion of all aspects of cycling in Camden via the yahoo mailing list and on CycleScape
- rides and monthly cycle maintenance workshops
- promoting public awareness of the campaign
- putting on events such as bike breakfasts and having stalls at street festivals and fairs
- writing to the press
- recruiting new members
Who does this work?
- the Camden Cyclists management committee and volunteers
- the committee does its work via email and at monthly meetings
- more volunteers are always needed!