MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON JULY 14TH 2008
Present: Jean Dollimore, Meade Mccloughan (Chair), Helen Vecht, Stefano Casalotti, Anne Boston, James Brander (notes)
Apologies: John Chamberlain, Richard Fletcher, Dominic Tinley, Coleen Macauley, Jane Boardman
Minutes and Matters arising
Need to remind Coleen to ensure she’s on the mailing list of the Community Policing Committee. James to take forward to next meeting.
George Coulouris’ ride will be on Aug 31st.
Jean reported that Sam Monck has used inconsistency between boroughs as an excuse not to consider a local ban on motorcycle use of bus lanes. Jean to raise this again with Paul Braithwaite. James to ensure the issue is on the August agenda.
Meade reported that though the cycling strategy document had been on the agenda, discussion following lengthy presentations by both Network Rail (about King’s Cross and its bridge) and some children about child safety, had meant that there was no time for it. It has been carried over for consideration in September (when Jean will probably miss it again).
Stefano circulated the results of his research. It was agreed we could afford one, though preferably not 4.5m tall, and not made of biodegradable anything (storage and moisture issues). Stefano was asked to investigate Banners For All further, being sure that a heavy base and at least 2-colour printing are included in any quote.
Now stopped. CTUK have failed to deliver on the training, so Stefano is to investigate other possibilities. London School of Cycling was mentioned. Agreed to be important to keep Bob Spellar involved.
James was warned to expect an invoice from CTUK for whatever training they had done.
Jean reported that all developments are off until at least October. Lottery funding is being sought to improve vehicle access to the depot, and a cycle route past the lido would be incorporated into this.The cycle provision priorities are:
- improve signage and awareness of existing routes
- remedial action on existing pathway pinchpoints
- implement new routes
JD had tried to encourage some speedup of this process in order to take advantage of Greenway funding.
Anne reported that the next meeting about this would be on Thursday July 17th. She will attend. Meade to forward her a message describing a recent cyclist collision.
James reported a fairly healthy state, with LBCamden’s cheque for the breakfast having already been received. Agreed we could fund a vertical banner.
Meade reported having been asked by Jane to suggest that CCC should help Stefano buy a new trailer to replace the one he uses a great deal on CCC business. Agreed that we could find £100 to help out with that.
JD asked that it be fixable to any bike.
Cycle advice to small businesses
Stefano introduced this, describing it as an idea originating with Andrew. He wanted views on what we could put in a brochure that we could use to entice small business into receiving presentations from us on the value of cycling.
Anne proposed that such a brochure could include
– contacts for training
– suggested sources of grants
– parking recommendations
Some discussion, but no clear decision as several present felt this would commit individuals to actions at times not of their choosing.
This discussion prompted some discussion about our year’s events brochure. The suggestion was that it goes out of date so fast, noone can keep up with the necessary editing and printing. It was therefore proposed to revert to two brochures: one of background information and one of events. Some present felt that this was a retrograde step, missing out on the advantages of modern printing.
The meeting was joined by George Coulouris.
Cycling around King’s Cross
James mentioned having attended the King’s Cross Development Forum meeting, at which the issue of the Wharfedale Rd bridge was discussed. He encouraged all present to sign the on-line PM’s petition about this. He also asked for a volunteer to attend a meeting being held by King’s Cross Access the following Thursday. Jean and George thought they’d be available, and James agreed to forward them the petition address for posting to the wider CCC.
The Safety Audit proposals were also discussed, and it was agreed that the signage remains wrong on Camley St. The marking of the cycle lanes under the ‘tunnel’ was also agreed to be wrong, though there was some doubt as to the correct solution.
Jean was asked to request a site meeting with LBCamden engineers concerning implementing the original bike lane alongside St Pancras Rd southbound, as the number of taxis down this section reduces roadspace to a few centimetres.
Freewheel will take place on Sept 21st. Officially, registration is necessary, but one can probably take part without it. Agreed we need a feeder ride, to leave Swiss Cottage at 10.30am. No volunteers for this, though James agreed to do Dr Bike there. Request for volunteers needs to be posted around CCC, and inserted in the newsletter.
Agreed that our Feeder would go only as far as Regent’s Park, where official stewarding would take over. However, it was also agreed that we should arrange a return ride, probably leaving some unambiguous landmark at around 4pm.
Jean agreed to forward the contact details of the various people called Tom who could be called on as volunteers.
Helen reported having received a request for volunteers to steward the whole event.
James reported that the Swiss Cottage Festival has been postponed, so there is only the one event on Sept 6th, in Marchmont St. He will not be available, but John has already offered his services as Dr Bike for then. Jean and Meade, and even Jane and Richard should also be available for a stall.
Anne reported a lot of interest at her stall at Inkerman Road street Fair. Unfortunately, she didn’t have either any brochures or the Frequently Asked Questions file. Need to tighten up procedures about these.
Bike Week feedback
Stefano circulated a note estimating the cost-effectiveness of the various Bike Week events. It was agreed not to be too dismissive of the BikeBus at this stage, despite its relatively poor performance in these terms. All are urged to come up with new ideas.
Both peripherique and the Breakfast were winners.