Our efforts on this have now been superseded by Dermot Hanney’s excellent Route Plan Roll – 2020 London Cycle Map, which offers a virtually complete survey of the high-quality routes in London Transport Zones 1, 2 and some in Zone 3.
See www.routeplanroll.com for more information.
Our previous effort
This is an experiment in crowd-sourcing a map of existing and future high-quality cycling infrastructure in London. It is based on, but separate from our Map of Protected Cycling Routes in Camden. It uses Google My Maps editing and file sharing features. There are some limitations but I don’t think they will restrict us. I would have preferred to use OpenStreetMap with an open source map editor but I am not aware of one that approaches the convenience of Google’s map editing. Maybe I’ll port the map to OpenStreetMap once we have something worthwhile.
The aim is to for LCC local groups and others to pool their knowledge to produce and maintain a London-wide map of existing and planned safe cycling routes that meets LCDS and LCC standards. I.e. routes with full segregation of appropriate width on roads with traffic levels above 2000 pcus/day, adequate provision on other roads and safe junctions. The purpose is to show useful routes rather than isolated small sections.
How to contribute to the map
- Click on the ‘View larger map’ button at the top right of the map below.
- Click on ‘Edit’.
- Select the ‘New map elements awaiting review/integration’ layer.
- To add a new route select the ‘Draw a line’ button and select the ‘Add a line or shape option’ to manually draw the route. Change the line width to match the others on the map and the colour to match one of the blues in the legend.
- Add a name and a description to each line or feature that you add.
- Unfortunately Google Maps editor doesn’t track changes or associate an author with the individual contributions to a map, so please add your name and email address in the Description field.
- There are three permanent layers:
• Existing LA schemes
• Existing TfL schemes
• Consulted, awaiting approval/construction
Please don’t change or add to those but make sure your contributions go in the ‘New map elements awaiting review/integration’ layer. I will review that from time to time and integrate the new material into one of the three permanent layers.
- Alternatively, feel free to create a new layer of your own and add new lines within it.
- Email me with questions or after you have added material that you would like me to review.