Tim Long writes:
“Clear Zones is a partnership between the City, Westminster City Council and Camden Council which aims to reduce congestion, noise pollution, air pollution and improve the quality of the public realm for people living, working and visiting an area, in this case Holborn Circus.
We are currently consulting with local residents, organisations and businesses in and around Holborn Circus, and we would really appreciate hearing any views that the Camden Cycling Campaign (CCC) has regarding this junction.
In particular, we would be interested in finding out from the CCC what they believe are the main routes that cyclists use to approach and cross Holborn Circus, and any other issues you have regarding this junction. ”
“We intend to feed the results from this consultation exercise into the potential re-design of Holborn Circus. Please note, this is a very early stage of our study, and there will be further opportunities to discuss any re-design of Holborn Circus. ”
These answers are based on accounts from cyclists who regularly cycle through the circus, some of them daily. I’ve deleted the questions that are not applicable.
1.How often do you travel through Holborn Circus?
2. What is the most frequent way in which you travel through Holborn Circus?
3. How easy do you find it to cross Holborn Circus?
4. What are the main issues you face when crossing Holborn Circus?
Distance across and detours (on foot). See qn 10 for bike experience.
7. How safe would you say it is for pedestrians to cross Holborn Circus?
8. What do you think are the main issues you face when walking across Holborn
Huge detours, wasted island in the middle.
9. How safe do you think it is for cyclists to travel through Holborn Circus?
10. What do you think are the main issues cyclists face when travelling through
The speed with which vehicles approach the circus and the distance across the circus. Vehicles come round at disturbing speeds, given they can’t see what they’re driving into. The position of the statue seems to be part of the problem.
The ASLs at Holborn Circus seem to fill up with motorcyclists and scooters.
The junction is wide open but the statue in the middle blocks the view.
19. What do you think of the setting of the statue in the middle of Holborn Circus?
Would be better in another location nearby
It obscures the view in its current location
20. Are there any improvements you would like to see made to Holborn Circus?
The junction is wide open but the statue in the middle blocks the view. It would be a good idea to reduce the size of the road space to just the amount required by the road traffic, slowing down vehicle speeds with more 90 degree exits and entrances to the circus. The space gained could be used up as pedestrian walkways. For example, DfT have some pages discussing cyclists at roundabouts and illustrating
continental design geometry at:
The statue could be moved to a buildout to improve views between pedestrians, cycles and motor vehicles.
The pedestrian journey through this junction must be horrible – huge detours, wasted island in the middle.