NOTES OF MEETING HELD ON NOVEMBER 13TH
Present Jane Boardman (Chair), Helen Vecht, Anne Boston, Richard Fletcher, Stefano Casalotti, John Chamberlain, James Brander (notes)
Apologies Jean Dollimore, Meade McCloughan
Matters arising None that anyone could remember.
College Crescent Jane reported that, because the initial consultation had been incomplete, a further round of consultation on this proposal for one-way working is underway. Stefano reminded us that the proposal has already been approved, but agreed to write to whomever is running the new consultation, restating our opposition. Jane agreed to find out who to contact.
Swiss Cottage crossing no news since last WCRSAG (reported at last meeting).
Maintenance workshops Stefano reported that the second session in the current series has now been held, with better attendance than the first. It went well, though the tendency to over-run is still manifest. There is an idea to write up some notes to accompany these sessions, with CDs and videos, and a grant for proper production. There is a waiting list for a third series, but as Andrea now has to provide two mechanics, it is believed that the price would have to increase. Stefano will find out how much the new charge from Andrea will be, and course pricing will be set accordingly. Agreed that it is important to get people to pay in advance.
Hampstead Heath Stefano reported having ridden on some of the proposed new Heath routes with Jean D. and Matt Winfield from Sustrans, who seemed sympathetic. Cycle counts, as described in the minutes of the last meeting, have been done. The somewhat disappointing results are on the web. Anne reported having greatly enjoyed her counting one sunny Sunday afternoon.
Someone, definitely not Richard but perhaps John, reported that the Heath for Feet movement is becoming more and more extreme. Anne noted some good letters supporting cycling in the CNJ; one especially from Dominic Tinley.
Stefano noted that Sustrans has good contacts with English Heritage (responsible for Kenwood) and wondered if something unexpected might arise from that.
There is still no firm news of the timing of the next Heath consultation.
Stefano reported also a forthcoming meeting with Ed Fordham, LBCamden’s representative on the Heath Consultative Committee.
Spaniards’ Lane:no news.
Xmas meeting this was confirmed as taking place at Castlehaven on December 11th. Adam Thorpe will be speaking about designing out cycle theft. He’ll be followed by the party, for which Jane will buy some food and Stefano will find some wine, beer and soft drinks. Wine boxes were discouraged.
Climate change ride Anne, Stefano, Paul Gasson and Paul Braithwaite were all on it (James claimed force majeure). Thought to have been rather small, but quite well-reported. Both Richard and Anne were keen that we should have some permanent exhibit for bringing out to such events. What? Agreed though that there is a need for some more portable banners.
School run consultation Jane outlined current LBCamden policy, which is to phase out school-run parking permits in a couple of years. However, she described how the new administration intends to hold a consultation in the most affected area (probably most of NW3) in the new year, which will offer five alternative strategies, including the current policy which is the most stringent. Members living in the area are encouraged to vote for the existing policy.
AOB Stefano decribed the rejection of his recent application for a grant under the Community Safety scheme. He also reported that another is being prepared in association with Bob Spellar.
The Committee was then joined by Janie Shorter and Dominic Tinley for a discussion on upgrading the TfL maps and the associated issue of how we would like to see contraflow cycle lanes in one-way street marked.
Maps all agreed that they’re a good thing, though there are mistakes, mainly to do with mismatches between signing on the ground and indications on the maps. Stefano asked for all such examples to be carefully identified and emailed to him.
Suggestions for improvements included: more indication of one-way streets
Lighter blue indication to read street names
Customisation and other GIS developments
(note added after meeting:-TfL are working on a GIS version of these maps, so some of the fancier ideas may be possible in future.)
Janie offered to update the bike shop information.
Contraflow bike lane marking
After a good discussion, agreed to support LBCamden’s position of preferring to have a marked lane for contraflows, even though it isn’t strictly necessary. We would probably prefer the marking to have solid sides, though it doesn’t really matter.
It was also agreed that it is time we raised the issue of one-ways again, which never seem to reduce, despite the aims of the Cycle Plan. Stefano to announce this on the web, asking for suggestions from members. Noted that, according to the police, West Hampstead would be a good place to start, with the possibility of reducing pavement cycling.