TfL has asked Camden Council to rearrange the bus stand and bus stops. As usual they say the changes will improve safety of bus passengers, pedestrians and cyclists.
The proposals suggest:
- removing the separating kerb for the cycle lane to the west of the mini roundabout (northbound).
- removing the bus stand and associated island on the east side of Highgate Road. So cyclists will no longer be invited to go and get mixed up with the buses.
- raising the zebra crossing to footway level
This junction was studied on a CRIM and we thought would be re-designed accordingly, whereas the bus interests seem to have got there first. But the result may not be so bad, after all.
Approve the design but ask additionally for:
- No parking at any time near West Hill/Swains Lane/Highgate Road junction
- Cycle lane to be mandatory not advisory beyond loading bay and allow for moving out before the parking
- No loading to be allowed in evening peak