Brill Place and Phoenix Road directly link St Pancras International and Euston stations. The council would like to encourage more pedestrians to use this route as an alternative to Euston Road. The proposed measures include:
• Remove clutter on the footway, including unnecessary bollards and railings
• Re-pave the footways in paving slabs where needed
• Widen the footways on Brill Place by approximately 2 metres on the north side and approximately 1 metre on the south side
• Improve the lighting along Brill Place and Phoenix Road
• Provide a raised table at the junction of Charlton Street and Phoenix Road to improve the pedestrian environment
Notes: This really should consider cyclists as well; part of the work is to be funded from the proposed research institute.
This response to the consultation from Camden on the proposed Euston Road Pedestrian Route Alternative (Ref ES/TE/Corridors/TE00779) is from Camden Cycling Campaign, the local borough group of London Cycling Campaign (LCC). We have approximately 650 members and represent the interests of cyclists living or working in the borough of Camden. We consulted our members by email on this issue and this response reflects the views of the membership.
CCC strongly support the proposal. We think it is a really good idea and believe that it will benefit cyclists as well as pedestrians. It is quieter, safer and more pleasant as well as being a very direct route between Euston and St Pancras stations. It also links up very well with the main North-South cycle route along Ossulton Street (LCN+ Route 6).
We have some suggestions that we believe will make it work even better. These mostly relate to signing the route but we also believe there is a safety issue.
- Add signs for pedestrians and cyclists at Eversholt Street and Midland Road pointing to the station entrances (it’s not obvious which way the station entrances are).
- Add signs for pedestrians and cyclists at Eversholt Street and Midland Road indicating the route (i.e. towards St Pancras at Eversholt St and towards Euston at Midland Road).
- Add signs for cyclists at the crossing of Phoenix Road/Brill Place junction with LCN+ Route 6 at Ossulton St. This should be a four-way sign showing Camden Town/Holloway to the north, West End south, Euston west and St Pancras east (consistent with the rest of the route signage) and will be useful for pedestrians as well as cyclists.
- Currently the Phoenix/Ossulton St junction is confusing. Vehicles, including cyclists, are supposed to give way when travelling north-south but this is not obvious and causes conflicts. Many northbound cyclists, for example, cut across traffic turning right from Phoenix Road. It would be more straightforward if the junction reverted to the natural priority, i.e. a Give Way on Phoenix Road with priority on Ossulton Street. This has been reported before but we think it is important to resolve and it could be done as part of the proposal.
- Consider whether additional lighting may be required. One of our members thinks it may be a bit unsafe at night.
19 December 2010