Alison and Stephen introduced their scheme to get more local people involved in cycling issues. They gave the following advice:
- aim to get at least one Veloteer from each ward in the borough to raise their own concerns and interact with councillors or even officers; they formed a committee to organise, sent out letter to all members (15-20 replies), also in emails and two newsletters.
- launch event: a bike ride through the borough to look at good and bad schemes followed by working lunch at a community garden. Officer explained roles in council , councillors present. They recommend Charlie Holland as motivator. Need marshals for ride.
- show a map locating the Veloteers, (Angela suggested also recording their regular routes).
- they have created Facebook page and yahoo list
- they advised planning a second meeting from start, getting people committed to next actions
It was felt that Camden Cyclists are committed to initiating a Veloteer scheme and will aim for a launch event in March. The next step is to appoint an organiser and committee.