Open Street Map Cycle Map Location
Camden and Islington Councils proposes
The proposals include the following:
- widen footway on west side of the road including outside Hungerford Infants School
- new informal crossing point outside no 73
- cycle logos and an ASL at the junction with Hungerford Road
- shorten the bus stop on the east side of the road
Click here to see the consultation leaflet.
Click here to see the consultation plan.
In October 2009, you sent us a consultation concerning Brecknock Road Street Improvements. That one proposed a door zone cycle lane which we opposed. Unfortunately our advice was not accepted and the cycle lane was implemented. It was soon observed that when wide vehicles park inside the lane, they overlap it. We understand from John Futcher that the intention is to replace the lane with logos. Regarding the work in Brecknock Road, we request that:
• the cycle lane is replaced by logos at a safe distance from parked vehicles;
• the promised ASLs (on both sides of the island) be implemented as soon as possible.
We have the following remarks regarding the proposals in the current consultation:
• cyclists report difficulty in getting road space after crossing Camden Road; we therefor support the use of cycle logos and assume that they will be placed at a safe distance from the parked vehicles (centres at least 1.5 metres away from the outside of the largest vehicle to park there);
• we support the ASL box and feeder lane at the junction with Hungerford Road but are concerned about conflicts between the parked cars and the feeder lane. Please extend the footway buildout so as to protect the feeder lane (that is, reduce the parking space by one car length);
• we support the extended footways on the western side of the road as they should narrow the carriageway and slow vehicles;
• we think the new informal crossing will help pedestrians and should not be a pinch point for cyclists;
There are currently two sets of elephants footprints across York Way at the junction with Hungerford Road. Please ensure that both sets remain in place.
We ask you to consider the following additional measure to help pedestrians and cyclists:
• Impose a maximum speed limit of 20 MPH on this part of York Way and also in Brecknock Road