A new French School is to open in Holmes Road in September (at the site of the former Westminster Kingsway College). The entrance will be in Willes Road.
The following works will be undertaken in August 2011 to be in place when the school opens:
– Install guardrail at new school entrance on Willes Road
– Repave footway on Cathcart Street
– New crossover at the new school entrance on Willes Road
The proposals being consulted on include the following:
– Removal of 25m of resident parking bay on Cathcart Street
– Replace 10m of single yellow line marking on Cathcart Street new school bus bay
– Replace of 25m of single yellow line on Willes Road School Keep Clear markings with yellow zig zags
– Install loading and waiting restriction signs operational from 8 until 9.30 and 3 until 5
– Install new school crossing signs
Our only concern about the proposals for the new French school is whether it will generate a school run, thereby adding motor vehicle traffic in the roads around the school. Holmes Road and Grafton Road are used heavily by cyclists.
We were encouraged to see the proposal for a school bus bay in Cathcart Road and that no additional parking bays for parents were proposed, also that the number of residents parking bays had been slightly reduced.
We received the following note from Brian Deegan to an enquiry regarding the school travel plan:
The school has submitted a travel plan which is very favourable in its promotion of sustainable travel modes. The addition of a school bus bay was stipulated in the travel plan and so we have included this in the consultation. There are many other suggestions in the school travel plan and hopefully most will be progressed in the near future through other funding streams. These works relate specifically to those mentioned in the section 106 agreement between the developer and Camden. In terms of enforcement we do have mobile camera units who will be enforcing the parking restrictions but we are hoping that the recommendations from the school travel plan once actioned will reduce the reliance on motorised transport for drop offs and so reduce the need for permanent camera surveillance.
We would like to know whether the travel plan dealt with cycling and whether the school will provide any secure cycle parking for students and staff. There are good cycle routes from most directions to the school and cycling to school should be encouraged.