How bad is this junction?
- six of the available turns are under conditions likely to give rise to the most common type of collisions: 6 x 0
- two of them are unsuitable for new, young or old cyclists: 2 x 1
- only one is suitable for all cyclists : 2
How did it get so bad?
This junction is part of the dangerous Holborn gyratory (where 5 cyclists have been killed in the last 8 years)
- motor vehicles making extra turns
- and wasting road space
Three of these were killed at the junction of Southampton Row – Theobalds Road
Camden Council’s thwarted steps to improve this junction
- The ‘Holborn scheme’ i.e. gyratory removal was supposed to follow the West End project e.g. from 2015
- But in 2016 TfL told Camden they would not fund it until WEP finished
- although TfL agreed to fund improvements on Vernon Place – which they delayed until 2018 (modelling issues, buses issues)
- March 2019 TfL awarded Camden LN funding for Holborn £9.48m and match funding will make it up to £12.5
- Summer 2020 LN funding frozen by TfL
- Still no money for Holborn scheme