Camden are consulting on introducing protected cycle lanes on Crowndale Road between Royal College Street and Bayham Street. The plans include:
- Segregated cycle lanes in both directions on Crowndale Road from Bayham Street to the junction with Royal College Street
- A parallel zebra crossing for cyclists and pedestrians east of Camden Street
- Two bus stops to have bus stop bypasses (cycle track behind bus shelter); one to have a shared use bus boarder (where the road is narrower)
- Loading bays on College Place (rather than Crowndale Road)
- New cycle parking and bike hangars
- Trees, a rain garden, planters, new benches
- Designs for the Camden Street junction are not available yet
- Due to overall road width constraints the lanes are narrow (1.5m)
- The lanes don’t include the section west of Bayham Street so there is no protected link to Mornington Crescent and no eastbound cycling in this section (something we have repeatedly asked for).
Nevertheless, the scheme is consistent with Camden’s Transport plan and we think it should be supported.
Consultation on Camden’s website
Details, including plans and the consultation response form, are at Camden.gov.uk/CrowndaleRoad and the plans can be accessed directly at https://consultations.wearecamden.org/supporting-communities/crowndaleroad/supporting_documents/Crowndale%20scheme%20drawings%20for%20consultation.pdf
See our response here.