Kingsgate Primary School is in Maygrove Road – a narrow road with parked cars on both sides that is used as a short cut between Kilburn High Road and West End Lane.
Traffic levels on Maygrove Road peak to an average of over 220 vehicles between 8am to 9am, and then rise again to around 200 vehicles between 3pm to 4pm both of which are too high for safe cycling as well as being inappropriate outside as school.
Camden proposes timed Healthy School Street motor vehicle restrictions on Maygrove Road (between Barlow Road and Iverson Road), Loveridge Road (eastern half) and Ariel Road between 7.45am – 9.30am and 3.15pm -4.45pm, Monday to Friday during school term only.
The restrictions will be enforced using Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras.
This scheme will be introduced as a trial for a maximum of 18 months at which point a decision will be as to whether to make it permanent. If Camden proposes substantial changes, a consultation will be held.
Exemptions: properties and businesses in the closed section of the affected roads, emergency services, bin lorries, blue badge and pupils of the school that have a disability that prevents them from using active travel.
– ban left turn from Iverson Road into Maygrove Road (full time)
– double yellow lines to be introduced around the junction of Barlow Road and Maygrove Road and on Maygrove Road opposite Barlow Road
– remove sufficient parking to enable motor vehicles to turn round at the midpoint of Loversidge Road
– new bikehangars (4 on Maygrove Road, 2 each on Ariel Road, Loveridge Road and Iverson Road).
– extend the dockless bike and scooter parking area in Maygrove Road.
Consultation on Camden’s website
Decision in favour
10th Feb 2023. To be trial. ETO 18 months.
ETO May 2023 (earlier for bikehangars).To become active May 2-23 after half term.