Camden are consulting on improvements to Camden Street that will include:
- A pedestrian crossing at Bonny Street
- A contraflow northbound cycle lane that will allow cyclists to get to Camden Gardens and Hawley Wharf from Bonny Street
- A southbound cycle lane from Camden Gardens to Camden Road
- A bus lane from Kentish Town Road to Bonny Street
- Continuous footways at the mouths of Camden Gardens and Bonny Street
There’s a drawing of the scheme here.
These look like good proposals for cyclists and pedestrians though it would be even better if TfL would connect Bonny Street to the Royal College Street cycle route. An earlier design had cyclists crossing Camden Street using a Toucan where the proposed pedestrian crossing is but this would have involved some very awkward movements and potential conflict with pedestrians. There are large gaps in the traffic flow on Camden Street due to the proximity of the signals at Kentish Town Road so we do not think it will be difficult for cyclists to cross.
Consultation details are at https://consultations.wearecamden.org/supporting-communities/camden-street/
The consultation closes on 24th March.