Recent daily and year-to-date cycle counts (check the dates, out-of-date counts are usually due to failed counters):
- Pancras Road: near St. Pancras churchyard gate, both directions
- Royal College Street South: by bus stop north of Crowndale Road, both directions
- Royal College Street North: just north of Camden Road, both directions
Counts for the last 7 days from all counters
NB. Counts from days with missing data are (wrongly) added to the following day.
Historical data and studies
Camden had a cycle counter installed on the Royal College Street tracks in May 2014. Here is a StreetView of it. More recently they had two more installed, one in Pancras Road and another on the northern extension to Royal College Street. The data is open for public access (as part of a Camden policy for Open Data). Below are some ways to access the counter data. The daily counter values shown at the top of our home page and on this page are generated via the Camden Open Data API. We have been able to download all of the count data and Jean Dollimore has produced the following studies:
- 2019: Summary of five years’ cycle counts in Royal College Street, July 2019.
- 2018: Summary of four years’ cycle counts in Royal College Street, 13 July 2018.
- 2017: A comparison of three years data. Cycle counts in Royal College Street remain high. December 2017
- 2016: Weather is cold but they keep on cycling Counts on Royal College St and Pancras Road decrease a little as summer moves to winter. Occasional very heavy rain reduces numbers. 27 Jan 2016.
- 2016: Cycle counts in Royal College Street Comparison of first and second years data from the cycle counter, 24 July 2016
- 2016: More people using Royal College Street. Cycle counters show a substantial increase in numbers since opening of RCS northern extension, 7 Oct 2016
- 2015: Royal College Street Cycle Counter. Summary of first year’s data. On Thu 9 July a record 2627 people used the Royal College Street cycle tracks to avoid the tube strike. 10 July 2015
The Camden Open Data Portal currently provides data for all of the counters.
Here is a full summary table of the daily counts going back from yesterday to Sept 2016. There are large gaps in the data for Pancras Road due to faults (damaged cables in the road).
The map below, derived from the Camden Open Data Portal, shows the approximate locations of cycle counters currently available on the Camden Open Data Portal. Click on the icons to see details and yesterday’s totals:
On Royal College Street South
This graph shows the hourly counts from the counter on Royal College Street South (both directions) for yesterday:
Royal College Street North
This graph shows the hourly counts from the counter on Royal College Street North (both directions) for yesterday:
On Pancras Road
This graph shows the hourly counts on Pancras Road (both directions) for yesterday: