Yesterday's cycle counts: Royal College Street: , Pancras Road:
(Counters with value 0 are described as out of order, those with value < 400 as may be out of order).
Camden had a cycle counter installed on the Royal College Street tracks in May 2014. Here is a StreetView of it. More recently they had another one installed in Pancras Road. We have been able to download the count data and Jean Dollimore has produced the following studies:
- Royal College Street Cycle Counter. Summary of first year’s data. On Thu 9 July a record 2627 people used the Royal College Street cycle tracks to avoid the tube strike. 10 July 2015
- Cycle counts in Royal College Street Comparison of first and second years data from the cycle counter, 24 July 2016
- Camden’s cycle counters are now open data. Data from cycle counters on Royal College Street and Pancras Road is now open to public access and daily counts have been growing.
- More people using Royal College Street. Cycle counters show a substantial increase in numbers since opening of RCS northern extension, 7 Oct 2016
- Weather is cold but they keep on cycling Counts on Royal College St and Pancras Road decrease a little as summer moves to winter. Occasional very heavy rain reduces numbers. 27 Jan 2016.
- A comparison of three years data. Cycle counts in Royal College Street remain high. December 2017
Until recently the data was not open for public access but now it is (as part of a Camden policy for Open Data). Below are some ways to access the counter data. There is also an API so anyone able to construct web applications could devise more ways to present it.
Here is a full summary table of the daily counts going back from yesterday to 26 Sept 2016. Prior to that there are large gaps in the data due to faults (damaged cables in the road).
The map below shows the approximate locations of the two cycle counters currently installed in Camden. Click on the icons to see yesterday's totals:
On Royal College Street
This graph shows the hourly counts on Royal College Street (both directions) for yesterday:
On Pancras Road
This graph shows the hourly counts on Pancras Road (both directions) for yesterday: